Friday, November 11, 2011

This had to happen...

Over the last few days I have been very pleasantly surprised to discover some m/m books that I really do like, thanks to Goodreads' 'People who liked this, also liked...' feature.

And then I start reading another book that has an amazingly good rating at Goodreads, and since this particular list hadn't let me down yet, well. Don't know if I'll finish reading it though.

About four pages in I realized that this had to have been a RPS fanfic originally, because one of the main characters is - not just reminds me of, no, is - Jared Padalecki. Unmistakably. So the other guy is Jensen, and his nine year old son got his freckles and mouth and eyes from him, and etc.
Then we have Jensen's- sorry, I mean Andrew's friend, who plays guitar in a band and is named Gary Stevens. At that point I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Then there's Jared's- oops, I mean Nathan's best bud, who is a loudmouth and brash, and his wife doesn't like him at all, and - you get the picture. Hi Chad.

I don't even know what bothers me about this so much. Except that I just don't like to read RPS, and the author of this book really didn't do anything but change the names before she sent it to the publisher. There is really no way to not notice that this is a fanfic. What amazes me, is that it's not just the characters but also the way this book is written that blinks at me like a big honking neon sign saying FANFICTION.

So? I read fanfiction. I have read thousands of fanfics over the years, so why does this bother me? I don't know. Maybe it's simply the fact that I know this is really a J2 RPS story.

(Although, after I read some reviews I'm almost sure I wouldn't like this book very much for other reasons, too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment