Monday, October 24, 2011

On disappointed expectations

The book I am currently reading is The Hero of Ages, third part of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Actually, Goodreads tells me that I have been reading this book since 12. September - or in other words, for one month and almost two weeks. And I still haven't reached the middle.

To recap, I loved the first book of the trilogy, Mistborn. That fact, and the majority of the reader reviews, meant that I had high hopes and expectations for the second book, which according to some people was better than the first one. Then I read The Well of Ascension. Can't say I hate it, but I don't really like it for several reasons (which you can read about here, if you want to brave the spoilers.)

Now I have started book three - and have simply no motivation to read it. And this, I think, can mostly be blamed on my disappointment with the second book. Because now my expectations have done a one-eighty, Vin is still annoying, Sazed is turning out to be too emo for anybody's good - on the upside, there's Spook. And TenSoon, and oh, how relieved I was to read about him again. But that's not enough to make me pick up this damn book and read more than five pages of it at a time.

I want to like this book. I'm just not sure I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment