Monday, June 6, 2011

Robin Hobb - Soldier Son Bk. 1

Shaman's Crossing (Soldier Son #1)
by Robin Hobb

Phew, done!

I have rarely read a book that was so hard to continue and so captivating in turns. It is, over all, not a bad book, but it is also not nearly the best one Robin Hobb has written.

The introductory part alone makes it very difficult for readers to stay with it, since for the first 200 pages almost nothing happens. Instead Hobb, through the eyes of Nevare Burvelle, introduces his world to us. In every little detail, it seems. This may help the reader to get a good picture of what is happening how and where, but- there are too many pages of endless descriptions of the surroundings and happenings. There comes a point at which the author needs to stop and let the readers use their imagination. If I wanted to be told every little detail I'd watch a movie instead. This isn't just true for the beginning of the book, after things finally have been put into motion and the story becomes interesting - again, pages and pages of descriptions and details. I admit that in some cases I only skimmed a few pages, and still managed to gather what the point in all of it was.

Then of course there are the parts that make it damn hard to lay this book to the side and do something productive instead...

I really don't know if I would recommend this book. I'm sure there are enough people who would really enjoy Shaman's Crossing, but as for me I can only hope that the next two books will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment