Thursday, June 9, 2011

Something is fishy

I started reading the first book of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy two days ago. I like the book, the characters, the concept of 'magic'. I even like the female leading character, and that's not necessarily guaranteed with a man writing.

But sometimes I think that the male lead, Kelsier, is just too good to be true. Not in the 'he's too perfect' way of Mary Stu, Kelsier isn't invincible, he's not all knowing. He has more abilities than most others, but that doesn't mean he's better than them. On the contrary, those who only specialize in one of his abilities will most likely always be better than him, his strength is that he can combine the different aspects. (Yes, I know I'm cryptic, but I'm trying not to spoil anybody.)
But I admit that at some points of the story I start thinking that he can't really be what he seems. He has his secrets, yes, but everybody accepts him as one of the 'good guys'. Maybe I've been infected by Vin's mistrust, but somehow I'm just waiting for Kelsier to betray her in some way.

To be honest, I'd prefer if there was a darker side to Kell, I have a weakness for the mysterious badass anti-heroes. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment